National Nurses United (NNU) AFL-CIO seeks an experienced Communications Specialist with a commitment to social justice and professional experience in social advocacy, and communications. The ideal candidate will have experience in the application of communications technology to social and political issues.
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the U.S. to a single-payer style healthcare system, along with rekindling the movement for progressive social change.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe staffing law, for organizing campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the U.S., and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has more than 150,000 members in all 50 states.
This position is based in Oakland, Calif.
- Build broader awareness of NNU campaigns and increase the visibility of the work of the organization on a national and local level by planning and executing communications across all media platforms.
- Write press releases, blogs, magazine articles, brochures, flyers, and other organizational materials, as assigned.
- Develop materials and conduct media outreach for varied union and grassroots campaigns and projects.
- Conduct media outreach to promote organizational activities, as assigned.
- Plan and conduct social media campaigns.
- Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters.
- Develop strategic communication and marketing plans essential to supporting the goals and objectives of NNU campaigns.
- Report to and work under the direction of the NNU Communications Director.
- Five years experience in journalism, media relations with unions, political and/or social advocacy organizations or the equivalent.
- Two years experience in social media outreach and campaigns.
- A proven track record of acquiring national print, electronic, and online media coverage.
- Excellent verbal communications and writing skills (two writing samples required with application).
- The ability to communicate complex material in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
- Proficiency with MS Office – word processing, access, spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with the healthcare industry, health care reform, social justice issues, and labor strongly preferred.
- Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
- Willingness to travel, as needed.
Salary and Benefits: Excellent salary depending on experience, and outstanding benefits offered, including comprehensive family health & dental plan, domestic partner coverage, and generous pension.
Please apply by submitting application, resume and cover letter here. (PCRecruiter login required)
For additional information, please contact us at email@example.com
NNU provides a very competitive salary and benefit package including full family and domestic partner coverage, medical, dental, pension and 401(k).
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.